Three Bean Salad
Memorial Day is coming up and this is a perfect salad to bring to a picnic or barbecue. Legumes are a real power food, lots of fiber and protein, and high in vitamin Cand vitamin A. This salad travels well for a lunch on the go. The dressing is wonderful, lots of fresh parsley and a little rosemary along with the nice tang of apple cider vinegar and hint of sweetness from the maple syrup. Serve with greens and piece of a whole grain bread.
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, chopped fine (about 3/4 cup), soaked in water to take the edge off the onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup loosely packed, fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the 3 different types of beans, the celery, onion (drained of soaking water), parsley, and rosemary.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
- Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.