I was just talking to a friend about macaroni and cheese and how good it is and how we could live on it if it weren’t for the fact that it is loaded with saturated fat, cholesterol and loads of calories. Luckily, there are some really tasty plant based options that are so good you don’t miss the cheese and Squash Macaroni is one of my favorites. You can increase the nutrient density of this dish if you use whole grain pasta and add a green vegetable. I love this dish, it is easy to make and oh so comforting to tuck into on a cold night. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups cooked macaroni (preferably whole grain)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup butternut squash, cooked and mashed
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, pureed
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cooked macaroni in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic with a little water in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the squash, cashews, soy milk, nutritional yeast and salt. Mix well and cook just until heated through.
- Add squash mixture to macaroni and mix well.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a casserole dish with a lid or a baking dish covered with tin foil and bake for 15 minutes.
Mix in green veg, like broccoli or peas……