Mid East Pilaf
Sandy Holmes, RD and a big Aspen Meatless Monday supporter, is writing a cookbook! She is in the process of self- publishing it and I will let you know when it is available for sale. This is a recipe I tested for her cookbook. It is yummy and easy to make. This recipe is going to be an after work staple for me. I especially like that you can cook the whole thing in one pot so clean up is a snap. Next time I may add some pomegranate seeds for color and more crunch. I made a simple cucumber and tomato salad to accompany the dish.
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Saute’ onion in vinegar and sugar until soft.
- Stir in spices.
- Add water and everything except the raisins and cook about 35-40 minutes until tender.
- Stir in raisins, cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Lentils–high in protein and fiber, are a legume that doesn’t require soaking.