Island Back Bean Bowl
Ok, I am really into "bowls" lately. I love them because you can get really creative and they come together quickly. I think about building them like this.....
Start with a grain, such as rice, farro, quinoa, millet, barley or a non grain but something starchy like a potato.
Add a vegetable protein like beans, tofu, seitan, or tempeh.
Add at least three vegetables. One of my vegetables is almost always a leafy green.
Top or mix with a sauce. Salsa, guacamole, teriyaki sauce, peanut sauce, red pepper sauce, or in this case, a mango sauce.
Top with an herb, parsley, thyme, cilantro, rosemary sprig etc. Also think about topping with a seed for more nutrition and crunch like sesame seeds, pepitas, peanuts, pine nuts, sliced almonds etc.
Here is the recipe for Isalnd Balck Bean Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup white sweet corn, frozen and thawed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup ripe or frozen mango
- 1 avocado diced
- ¼ cup raw pepitas
- 1 cup mango dressing, recipe follows
- 8 ounces baby kale
- Cook quinoa as directed.
- Put the black beans and corn in a glass bowl and microwave until heated through.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and pepper and mix well.
- Add the dressing and stir through. (Recipe follows)
- Place a handful of baby kale into each bowl. Add bean and quinoa mix.
- Top with diced mango, avocado and pepitas.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 mango, peeled and pitted or 1 cup frozen mango
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Put all ingredients into a food processor or high powered blender and combine until smooth